Today was Ryan’s IEP and really it was a no go. The principal, his teacher, and one of the special ed teachers were no shows. We are going to try again next week. I know. Wish I would of known before my husband was late for work. Grrr.
Now onto list day. I am a woman of the sun. I am a freak who adores summer, less clothing, swimming, no school, barbeques, the beach, yes ALL things summer. I suffer from a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder, I am the woman who wants a bar a que for her birthday in January . Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a kind of depression that occurs usually in the winter.
1. We are exactly 73 days away from the December solstice or better known as the shortest day of the year and the end of the world if you follow the Mayan calendar. After this the days get longer and by mid January I am no longer going to work in the dark. There are a few months there I go and come home in the dark, effectively making me a vampire for part of the year. Spring is a mere 162 days away.
2. Getting outside to exercise without sunglasses is essential this time of year. Last winter it was incredibly mild and my and my hiking gang walked consistently and missed almost no days due to cold or snow. It was great to walk along the creek in the spring and watch the nesting Canadian Geese, to see the baby geese be hatch, and grow from yellow fluff balls into adult geese. It saved my sanity to hike last winter.
3. Oh snow. Snow means no school and wild boys in the house. Snow days are the only days of the year I am happy to live on a steep hill. Also working is hard when it snows. After a few inches my super hilly neighborhood becomes one big sled run and your car the sled. My mantra 162 days till spring, 162 days till spring. Don’t get me started on my hatred of Christmas. Bah Humbug!
4. I have been in complete denial about fall. It was 80 degrees and hot last Friday night. I wore a tank dress to Adam Ant and I sent my kids to school in shorts. I had to get their winter clothes out today because it was so cold in my house I almost put the heat on, almost.
5. The shorter days has me wanting to sleep a ton. The kids go to bed and I instantly want to be in bed curled up under a warm blanket dreaming. Goodnight.